Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Brown Bagging It

I try to bring my lunch to work most days. It saves money, it saves calories, and honestly, most things I make at home taste a lot better than the things available downstairs in a cafeteria that serves thousands of Capitol Hill staffers and tourists every day. Most days, I just throw together a yogurt, some crackers, fruit and a granola bar and call it a day, but there are other times I want to upgrade my brown bag lunch a bit.

I've been trying to eat more protein during lunch as I find it gives me more energy and I don't have the midafternoon food crash that leaves me sprinting for the vending machine or looking around for the office candy jar. I threw together the recipe below to use up a few spare chicken breasts. It is tasty and healthy, and can easily be made ahead and toted to work in a plastic container.

Fancy Chicken Salad
Clipped and saved from the Kansas City Star in 1997, way back in the internet dark ages ;)

4 c. chicken breast, cooked and diced
1 c. red grapes
3/4 c. sliced almonds
1 c. mandarin oranges
1 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 t. mustard
1/4 T. lemon juice

In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. In a smaller bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients to make a dressing. Pour dressing over chicken mixture and fold together to combine. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would this be even better if it specified use of top quality mayo or mustard ingredients.....like the GOODY brand? :-) Pipster the Chipster