Thursday, September 4, 2008

You Had Me at Hello

As with most trends, the cupcake craze took a while to travel from NYC to D.C. While I am sure New Yorkers have moved on to the latest and greatest dessert treat, D.C.'s love affair with cupcakes has only just begun.

A few weeks ago, Hello Cupcake opened in Dupont Circle to long lines and rave reviews. I popped by last night to pick up a few cupcakes for a work celebration and couldn't resist sampling some of the offerings. The selection varies by day and was a bit limited yesterday, but I did visit the shop right before they were slated to shut down for the night. I tried an "HC Original" - classic yellow cake with chocolate frosting, a "24 Carrot" - carrot cake with cream cheese icing, and a "Triple Coconut" - coconut cake, coconut cream cheese icing and toasted coconut topping. (The bakery also offers vegan and gluten free selections - see website for more details!)

YUM.

The HC Original was just kind of meh...the cake was slightly dry and the chocolate icing tasted like it was made with chocolate flavoring as opposed to actual chocolate, but the other two cakes blew me away. The cakes were moist and dense and the icing was creamy and rich. And piled on thick!

The treats were sugary sweet and might be a little too much for some, but for this dessert lover, Hello Cupcake made me never want to say Goodbye...

Hello Cupcake
1351 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036

Hours
Mon-Thurs 10-7
Fri-Sat 10-9
Closed Sunday

Prices
Individual cupcakes: $3
Box of 4: $12
Box of 6: $18
Box of 12: $33

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know I am such an oddity, but I don't like cake or cupcakes!!