Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pieces of You

While I live in Washington, D.C., my boyfriend is in his third year of law school in our home state of Kansas. This arrangement has contributed to many many high cell phone bills, frequent airport trips (I am a whiz at getting through security!) and his leading a quasi-nomadic existence for the past two years, spending the school year in Kansas and the summers with me in D.C. He left a few weeks ago for his final (hallelujah!) year of school and even though he is physically gone, reminders of his presence are everywhere. I'm finding little pieces of him scattered around the apartment - a random can of shaving cream on the bathroom shelf, a stray pair of dress socks behind the laundry basket and a partially used carton of half-and-half in the fridge.

It's partially used because I'm not a coffee drinker. And Andrew is. Religiously. And when he left for the semester, the half-and-half consumption in the apartment decreased dramatically. I don't like to waste food, if I can help it, so I searched for a recipe where I could use up the last few drops of half-and-half that were no longer earmarked for a morning cup of coffee.

My September issue of Cooking Light featured the big winner. Ziti with Cherry Tomatoes and Spinach in a Gorgonzola Cream Sauce got the nod because I had most of the ingredients on hand, including seasonally abundant cherry tomatoes. Plus, I'm a sucker for a creamy pasta sauce.

Gorgonzola is a member of the blue cheese family, and has a strong, tangy flavor. While the flavor of the cheese mellows considerably during cooking, add in the red pepper flakes and you've got a sauce that packs a punch! This recipe makes about two generous portions and put a big dent in my significant others abandoned groceries. Now if I could just find a creative use for his orphaned dress socks...

Ziti with Cherry Tomatoes and Spinach in a Gorgonzola Cream Sauce
From Cooking Light

4 ounces uncooked ziti
1/2 t. olive oil
1 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. crushed red pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
6 T half-and-half
3 T Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1 c. fresh spinach

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add cherry tomatoes, salt, crushed red pepper, and minced garlic to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in half-and-half and Gorgonzola cheese; cook 4 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in spinach and pasta; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, tossing occasionally.

No comments: